How to Properly Clean Your Smartphone
Maintaining your smartphone is not limited to deleting unused files and running system maintenance. While internal maintenance is important to keep your device working efficiently, it’s also important to give proper physical care. Start with these smartphone cleaning tips.
Wipe it Down Regularly
In order to maintain and keep your smartphone clean, wipe it down regularly. It’s an obvious cleaning tip but is often overlooked. Ideally, wipe your phone prior to using it. A pre-moistened antibacterial wipe will do the trick, especially when you are constantly on-the-go. Other options are screen cleaning towelettes or microfiber phone cleaning kits.
Use a Cleaning Kit
A cleaning kit for smartphones will include the following items:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Fine-pointed cotton swabs
- Microfiber cloth
The microfiber cloth is a great item for cleaning a phone screen. This material is gentle enough so your screen won’t be scratched. The cotton swabs are great for cleaning the edges of your phone.
Use the cleaning kit often. Most come with an instruction manual to get the full use of the kit.
If you don’t opt for a cleaning kit, you can make your own cleaning solution at home. This is what you’ll need:
- 8 ounces rubbing alcohol and 8 ounces distilled water
- Equal amount of white vinegar and distilled water
Pour the solution into a spray bottle for easy usage.
Use a Screen Protector
The best way to keep your smartphone clean is to invest in accessories to protect it. One of the best accessory investments is a screen protector. It sticks to your screen to protect it from dirt or dust. A protector will also prevent scratches or other forms of damage. It’s also recommended to replace the screen protector regularly when it gets smudged or scratched.
Use a Smartphone Case
There are plenty of different smartphone cases available for purchase. Just like the screen protector, the case is designed for protecting the phone from scratches and damage. It also prevents dust and dirt from sticking to your phone. Buy one where you can easily remove the case from your phone and wipe it clean. Most people find it easier to clean the case than their phones.
Clean Smartphone Keyboards and Ports
The keyboards and ports on your device have nooks and crevices in them. This makes them prone to dust accumulation when not cleaned properly. In order to keep your smartphone keyboards and ports dust-free, first turn the device off. If there are any cables attached, unplug them.
Then use a dry cotton swab to get through these nooks and crevices. Be sure to navigate the cotton swab in between the keys and ports. This will help to remove any dust and dirt. If there is unmovable dirt, use compressed air. By blasting the area with some air, the dirt will loosen up and will be easier to remove.
It is not enough to clean your smartphone – you should do the same with the accessories. One accessory that requires a lot of attention is your pair of headphones. A dish soap solution can be used to wipe down headphones. If they come with silicone covers, make sure to remove those. Dust off the silicone covers separately.
After you wipe down the headphones with the soapy solution, dry it with a cloth.
Smartphone Cleaning Mistakes
While it is recommended that you clean your smartphone regularly, it is important to follow proper cleaning procedures and avoid these mistakes:
- Do not use unapproved commercial cleaning products for your smartphone screen. Only use products that are approved for use on smartphones or any mobile devices.
- Do not clean your phone while it is turned on. Switch off the device before you do. In the event that you accidentally soak the phone while cleaning, place it in a bowl of dry rice immediately. This will help to absorb the excess water and help save your phone from damage.
- Do not use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process of your phone (in case you accidentally soaked it). Your phone contains parts that can be damaged when exposed to extremely high temperature. Wait for the phone to dry completely before you attempt to turn it on again.
- If your phone is extremely soiled, avoid trying to clean it yourself. Leave it to professionals in order to prevent more damage.
HelloTech Provides Smartphone Support
If you need help with your smartphone, HelloTech provides mobile device support. We will help identify the issue and troubleshoot as necessary if you’re having email, storage or data, photo, or other issues.