If you want to know how to open Command Prompt in Windows, there are several methods that you can utilize. Read up on the simple instructions below. But first, let’s take a look at what the Command Prompt is and what it does.
What is Command Prompt?
Command Prompt is a program that you can use to execute commands on a Windows computer. This tool is handy for troubleshooting or for setting automated tasks in the Windows operating system.
Command Prompt can help you find your IP address, perform system repairs, and other advanced admin functions. If you’re familiar with macOS, the Command Prompt is similar to the Terminal App.
There are several ways of opening Command Prompt, depending on which operating system you are running.
Open Command Prompt With the Run Window
Every recent version of Windows has come with the Run window, which can be used to open Command Prompt. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Type “cmd” in the search box.
- Then click OK or press Enter.
Open Command Prompt in Applications
Another way to open Command Prompt in Windows 10 is by going to the Start menu folder. Here are the steps:
- Click on the Start button.
- Scroll down the list of apps until your see the “Windows System” folder.
- Click on Windows System.
- Then click on Command Prompt.
How to Open Command Prompt in Windows 8.1
If you are running Windows 8.1, you can open the Command Prompt by following the steps below:
- Click the Start screen.
- Tap All Apps.
- Go to the Windows System folder.
- Click Command Prompt.
Use the Search Button
- Click on the Search button. This is located in the bottom left corner of your screen, and it is shaped like a magnifying glass.
- Type “cmd” or ‘command” in the search field.
- Select Command Prompt from the results.
Run Command Prompt as Administrator
If you wish to use the tool with administrative privileges, follow the steps below on how to run Command Prompt as administrator:
- Type “CMD” or “command” in the taskbar search field.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt search result.
- Click Run as administrator.
Now that you know how to open Command Prompt, check out our article on the most useful Command Prompt commands here.