Whether your Amazon Echo has become unresponsive, or you just want to erase all your settings, resetting your device will return it to factory settings. Then you can set the device up as new or give it to someone else without worrying about them being able to see your personal data. Here’s how to reset your Amazon Echo smart speaker, with or without the Alexa app.
How to Reset Your Amazon Echo Device With the Alexa App
To reset your Amazon Echo device, open the Alexa app and go to Devices > Echo & Alexa. Then choose the device that you want to reset and tap the gear icon. Finally, scroll down and tap Deregister and then tap Deregister in the pop-up window.
- Open the Alexa App. If you don’t already have it, you can find it on the App Store or the Google Play Store.
- The tap Devices. This is the house-shaped icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Next, tap Echo & Alexa.
- Then select the Amazon Echo device you want to reset.
- Next, tap the gear icon. You will see this in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Then scroll down and tap Deregister. You will have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.
- Finally, tap Deregister in the pop-up window. Once you tap Deregister, your Echo will restart, and Alexa will announce that your device is ready to set up.
Once your device resets, all your data will be erased. Then you can tap Continue in the Alexa app to set up the device as new. Or, if you plan to sell it or give it away, you can tap Later and unplug the device. Then the new owner can register the devices to their Amazon account.
Read More: How to set up Alexa on your Echo smart speaker
If you don’t have the app handy, you can also reset any Echo device by hand. Here’s how:
How to Reset an Echo Speaker Without the Alexa App
To reset a 3rd– or 4th-generation Echo smart speaker, press and hold the action button for 25 seconds until the ring light turns orange and Alexa announces that the device is in “setup mode.” The action button is the button with the dot icon on top of your device.
To reset a 2nd generation Echo Dot, press and hold the microphone off and volume down buttons for about 20 seconds until the ring light turns orange.
To reset a 1st-generation Echo Dot, use a long, thin object to press the reset button underneath the device. Keep pressing the reset button until your device lights up orange. That means it’s in setup mode.
How to Factory Reset an Amazon Echo Plus
To reset a 1st generation Amazon Echo Plus, press the reset button once using a paperclip. The light ring will then turn off and on again.
If you have the 2nd generation Amazon Echo Plus, reset it by pressing and holding the action button for 20 seconds. Wait until the light ring flashes.
How to Reset an Amazon Echo Show or Spot
To reset the Echo Show or Spot, swipe down from the main screen and tap Settings. Then scroll down and select Device Options > Reset to Factory Defaults.
Read More: How to set up an Echo Show