These days, QR codes are everywhere. These modern-day barcodes let you quickly open a web page, download an app, send text messages, and more. All you have to do is scan them with your smartphone camera to get access to all this helpful information. Here’s how to scan a QR code with your iPhone and an Android phone.
How to Scan a QR Code on an iPhone
To scan a QR code on your iPhone, all you have to do is open the Camera app and point your phone at the QR code. Make sure the QR code is inside the box on your screen and then tap the pop-up notification.
- Open the Camera app on your iPhone. You can find the Camera app by swiping left on your Lock Screen, selecting it from the Control Center, or opening the app directly from the Home screen.
- Then point your iPhone at the QR code to scan it. You don’t have to fill the entire screen, but make sure that all four corners of the QR code are in view. One you correctly scan the QR code, a pop-up notification will appear on top of your screen.
- Finally, tap the pop-up notification at the top of your screen. This will run the action contained in the QR code, such as sending you to a website or opening the App Store.
Make sure to check out our guide on how to scan a document on your iPhone here.
How to Scan a QR code on an Android Phone
If you’re running Android 8 or later, you can scan a QR code by long-pressing the home button and selecting Lens. Then point your camera at the QR code, tap the magnifying glass icon, and tap the pop-up notification.
- Press and hold the home button.
- Then tap Lens. This is the circle surrounded by lines to the left of the four colored buttons at the bottom of your screen.
- Point your camera at the QR code. You don’t have to fill the entire screen, but make sure that all four corners of the QR code are in view.
- Then tap the magnifying glass icon to scan the QR code. You can find this at the bottom of your screen.
- Finally, tap the pop-up notification. You will then be directed to the information or action embedded in the QR code. This could open a webpage, open the Google Play Store, save a contact, and more.