Updating Chrome won’t just add new features to your web browser faster, it will also come with security patches to protect you against identity theft, phishing attacks, viruses, and more. While Chrome can update automatically, there are times when you have to do it manually. Here’s everything you need to know about how to update Google Chrome on your Windows or Mac computer, iPhone, and Android devices.
How to Update Google Chrome on Your Computer
To update Chrome on a Windows or Mac computer, open the browser and click the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of the window. Then hover over Help and click About Google Chrome. Wait for the update to finish and click Relaunch.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Then click the three-dot icon in the top-right corner. You will see this just to the right of the address bar at the top of your browser window.
- Then hover your mouse over Help and select About Google Chrome.
- Next, wait for the update to finish and click Relaunch. If there is an update available, it should be immediately downloaded, but it will not be installed until you relaunch the browser.
These steps will work the same whether you are using a Windows or Mac computer. If you are having issues updating Chrome, check out our step-by-step guide on how to export, save, and import your Chrome bookmarks, so you don’t lose any important data.
How to Update Chrome on Your Android Device
To update the Google Chrome app on an Android device, open the Play Store app and tap your profile icon in the top-right corner. Then select Manage apps & devices and tap See details under Updates available. Finally, scroll down and tap Update next to Google Chrome.
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android phone. You can swipe up from the middle of your home screen to see a list of all the apps on your Android device.
- Then tap your profile icon. You can see this in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Next, select Manage apps & devices.
- Then tap See details. You will see this under Updates available.
- Finally, tap Update next to Google Chrome. You might have to scroll down to see the app.
You can also tap Update all in the top-right corner to update all the apps on your Android device at once. However, it will take longer for all your apps to update at once, and it could slow your Android device down.
How to Update Chrome on Your iPhone
To update Google Chrome on your iPhone, open the App Store app and tap the profile icon in the top-right corner. Then scroll down and tap Update next to Google Chrome. If you don’t see the app under the list of Upcoming App Updates, scroll up past the top of the page to refresh the list.
- Open the App Store app on your iPhone. If you don’t see this app on your home page, you can swipe down from the middle of your home screen and use the search bar to find the app.
- Then tap your profile icon. You will see this in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Finally, scroll down and tap Update next to Google Chrome.
If you don’t see Google Chrome under the list of Upcoming App Updates, you can scroll all the way to the top of the page and continue scrolling up until you see a loading icon appear. Then release the page and wait a few moments for it to refresh before you check again.
Read More: How to change the homepage and new tab page in Chrome