Amazon’s Fire TV Stick is a great way to stream TV shows or movies or even watch live events. But your TV won’t be so smart if you don’t know how to pair your Amazon Fire Stick remote control. By learning how to pair your Amazon Fire Stick remote, you’ll be able to get back to binge-watching your favorite shows in no time.
How to Pair Your Amazon Fire Stick Remote
To pair your Amazon Fire Stick remote, press the Home button for at least five seconds. Then you will see the light on top of your remote start blinking. An on-screen message or three blue lights flashing will indicate the successful pairing attempt.
Out of the box, your Amazon Fire Stick automatically pairs with your Fire TV. All you need to is turn on your TV and start streaming. However, your remote will sometimes lose connection with your Fire TV, which is why you might need to pair it manually.
- Unplug your Fire Stick from the power outlet for at least one minute.
- Then remove the batteries from your remote and put them back in. If you have another set of batteries, you might want to replace them at this point.
- Next, plug your Fire Stick back into the power outlet.
- As your device starts up, press and hold down the Home button on your remote to initiate pairing mode. The Home button is the one with the house icon.
- Wait for the lights on your remote to start blinking. The light from on the top of the device will change from a slow to a rapid blink. For 2nd-generation Alexa voice remotes, an amber light will rapidly blink as the remote enters discovery mode.
- Your remote will be paired when you see the menu screen. For 2nd-generation Alexa voice remotes, the remote light will give off three blue flashes when it is paired.
The great thing about the Amazon Fire Stick is that you can pair it with a compatible third-party remote. You can add up to seven remote controls to your Fire Stick. If you’ve reached your limit, you will need to un-pair one of them.
How to Pair a Replacement or Additional Remote to Fire TV
To pair a second or additional remote to a Fire TV, go to Settings > Controllers & Bluetooth Devices > Amazon Fire TV Remotes > Add New Remote. Hold the Home button for five seconds, then pick the new remote’s name from the screen.
- Press the Home button on your Fire Stick remote.
- Then open the Settings menu at the top of the screen. You can do this by pressing the up button on your remote until the menu until you see Home highlighted. Then press the right directional button until you see Settings highlighted. Finally, click the button in the center of the circle on your remote to confirm your selection.
- Next, select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.
- Then select Amazon Fire TV Remotes.
- Next, select Add New Remote Your Amazon Fire TV will search for discoverable remotes and display them in a list.
- Then press and hold the Home button on your new remote for at least five seconds. Once your Fire Stick recognizes your new remote, it will appear on the screen.
- Next, press the Select button on your old remote. This is the button in the middle of the circle.
- Finally, you will then see your new remote listed on the screen.
How to Use Your Phone as a Fire Stick Remote
To use your phone as a Fire Stick remote, download and install the Amazon Fire TV app. Open the app and tap on your Fire TV device. Log in with your Amazon credentials and type in the PIN that you see on the TV on your phone.
The Amazon Fire TV app is a great alternative if you don’t want to buy a new remote. You can download the app on an Amazon Fire phone, Fire Tablet (with a microphone), an Android device (version 4.0 or higher), or an iOS device (version 7.0 or higher).
- Download and install the Amazon Fire TV app. You can find the app on the Google Play Store for Android devices and the Apple App Store for iPhones and other iOS devices.Make sure you download the app from AMZN Mobile LLC.
- Open the app and select your Fire TV device. The app will show a list of devices at the bottom of your app screen.
- Sign in with your Amazon username and password.
- Enter the four-digit PIN on your TV to your app.
- You can now use your phone to control your TV screen. Once pairing is complete, you will see your remote buttons on your smartphone screen. You can continue to use your device as a remote, or use it to pair a new remote by following the steps in the previous section with your app.
If that still does not work, you might have to do a factory reset of your device. Check out our guide on how to reset your Amazon Fire Stick to find out more.
This article has been updated with more accurate information.