The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a great way to stream TV shows or movies or even watch events live. But your TV won’t be so smart if you don’t know how to pair your Amazon Fire Stick remote. By learning how to pair different kinds of remotes, you’ll be able to get back to binge-watching your favorite shows in no time.
How to Pair Your Amazon Fire Stick Remote
Your Amazon Fire Stick is automatically paired with your Fire TV out of the box. All you need to is to turn on your TV and start streaming. However, your remote will sometimes lose connection with your Fire TV and needs to be paired manually. Here’s how to pair an Amazon Fire Stick Remote:
- Hold down the Home button on your remote for 20 seconds. This is the button with the house icon. You might need to do this several times if it doesn’t pair on your first few attempts.
- Check the lights on the remote. The light from on the top of the device will change from a slow blink to a rapid blink. For 2nd generation Alexa voice remotes, an amber light will rapidly blink as the remote enters discovery mode.
- Look for signals that the remote has been successfully paired. For 2nd generation Alexa voice remotes, the remote light will give off three blue flashes when it is paired. For remotes without a light, check the bottom of your TV screen for a message saying that the remote is connected.
How to Pair a Replacement Remote
If your original remote was broken or lost, you can pair your Fire Stick with another remote. Here’s how to do it.
- Unplug your Fire Stick from the power outlet for 10 seconds.
- Then, plug it back in. After the Amazon Fire TV Home Screen displays, your remote is ready for pairing.
- Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds. Your new remote should automatically pair with your Amazon Fire TV.
- You will see an on-screen message when it has successfully paired.
How to Pair a Second Remote
The Amazon Fire Stick can also be paired with any compatible third-party remotes. You can add up to seven remote controls to your Fire Stick, and if you’ve reached your limit, you will need to un-pair one of them. Follow the steps below to add another remote to your Fire TV device.
- Open the Settings menu at the top of the screen.
- Next, select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.
- Then select Amazon Fire TV Remotes, and then Add New Remote. Your Amazon Fire TV will search for discoverable remotes and display them in a list.
- Press and hold the Home button on your new remote for 10 seconds.
- Using your existing remote, select the name of your new remote from your TV screen.
- You will see an on-screen message when it has been successfully paired.
How to Use Your Phone as a Fire Stick Remote
If you don’t want to buy a new remote, you can just use the Amazon Fire TV app as your remote. The app can be downloaded on an Amazon Fire phone, Fire Tablet, an Android device (version 4.0 or higher), or an iOS device (version 7.0 or higher). To pair a remote using the app, follow these steps.
- Download and install the Amazon Fire TV app. Make sure you download the app from AMZN Mobile LLC.
- Open the app and select your Fire TV device. The app will show a list of devices at the bottom of your app screen.
- Sign in with your Amazon username and password.
- Copy the four-digit PIN from your TV to your app.
- You can now use your phone to control your TV screen. Once pairing is complete, you will see your remote buttons on your smartphone screen. You can continue to use your device as a remote, or use it to pair a new remote by following the steps in the previous section with your app.
Reset the Amazon Fire Stick
If all else fails, you can always reset your Fire Stick. All you have to do is replace the batteries in the remote.
To open the battery compartment on the back of your remote, place your thumb in the indentation on the back of the remote and slide the cover down.
If that still does not work, you might have to update your device. Find out how to update your Amazon Fire Stick here.