Your Roku device should update itself every 24-36 hours. However, there are times when it might not update itself quickly enough. Updating your Roku device manually allows you to get the latest features as soon as they come out. Here’s how to update your Roku device manually.
How to Update Roku Manually
To update your Roku manually, press the Home button on your remote. Then go to Settings > System > System Update > Check now. Then, if there is an update available, select Update now and wait for your Roku device to restart.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote. This is the button that has a house-shaped logo at the top of your remote.
- Then press the left directional button. This will bring you to the menu bar on the left side of your screen.
- Next, go to Settings. You can do this by pressing the up directional button on your remote once. Then press the OK button in the middle of your remote to select Settings once it is highlighted.
- Then select System. You can do this by pressing the up directional button on your remote once and then pressing the OK button on your remote.
- Next, go to System Update. You can do this by pressing the OK button or the right directional button once System Update is highlighted.
- Then select Check now. This will cause your Roku device to start looking for an update immediately.
- Wait for your Roku to check. If you see a message that says, “All software is up to date,” you won’t be able to install an update. However, if you see a message that says, “Update available,” continue on to the next steps.
- Then select Update now. Once you press OK on your remote, your Roku device will automatically start updating. This could take a few minutes, depending on how fast your internet connection is, and how long it’s been since you last updated your device.
- Finally, wait for your Roku device to restart.
If you experience any issues when trying to update your Roku device, check out our step-by-step guide on how to factory reset your Roku device.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.