Learning how to back up your iPhone will save you the headache of recovering your data when you lose, damage, or replace your smartphone. Then you can recover your contact information, text messages, pictures, and any other data that was stored on your device by restoring it later. Here’s how to back up your iPhone to a Mac computer and iCloud.
How to Back Up Your iPhone to iCloud
To back up your iPhone to iCloud, open the Settings app on your iPhone and select your name at the top of the screen. Then tap iCloud > iCloud Backup and turn on the slider next to iCloud Backup. Finally tap Back Up Now and wait for the process to finish.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then tap your name. This will be the first option at the top of the screen next to your profile icon.
- Next, tap iCloud.
- Then scroll down and select iCloud Backup.
- Next, tap the slider next to iCloud Backup. If it is green, you will know that you have iCloud backups turned on.
- Finally, tap Back Up Now. Wait until the backup process is completed. Do not disconnect from the internet while your iPhone is backing up your data.
With iCloud, you can have up to 2TB of cloud-based storage. However, only the first 5GB is free. By enabling iCloud backups, your iPhone will automatically back itself up to the cloud when it is turned off and connected to a WiFi network and a power source.
If you get a message that says the back up failed because there is not enough cloud storage, go back to the previous screen and uncheck some of the sliders. You can also click Manage Storage at the top of the menu to upgrade your iCloud account or delete iCloud data.
If you just want to back up your photos, check out our step-by-step guide on how to transfer photos from an iPhone to a computer.
When you back up you iPhone to iCloud, almost all data and settings will be included. However, it will not,back up your data stored in other cloud services, Apple mail data, Apple Pay information and settings, Face ID or Touch ID settings, and Apple Music Library and App Store content.
In order to back up all your data, you will need to connect it to a Mac computer. Here’s how:
How to Back Up Your iPhone to a Mac
To back up your iPhone on a Mac computer running macOS Catalina or later, connect your iPhone to your computer and open a Finder window. Then select your iPhone from the left sidebar and click the Back Up Now button.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Then open a Finder window on your Mac. You can do this by clicking the half-blue and half-gray icon in your Dock or left-clicking the desktop and hitting the Command + N keys on your keyboard at the same time.
- Next, select your iPhone in the left sidebar. You should see your iPhone’s name appear in the left sidebar of your Finder window under Locations.
- Finally, click Back Up Now. If you don’t see this, click the General tab near the top of the Finder window.To back up all your data, also make sure to check the circle next to Back up all the data on your iPhone to this Mac. It will take a while for the back up to be saved on your Mac, so make sure it is finished before disconnecting your iPhone.
Then wait for your iPhone to backup. This process might take a few minutes, and you should not disconnect your phone from your computer until it is complete.
Once you back up your iPhone, check out our step-by-step guide on how to restore your iPhone from a backup to get your data back.