Whether you lost your iPhone, or you forgot your Apple ID and password, there are lots of reasons to change your Apple ID. You might want to protect your privacy, or maybe you just want to use a new email address instead. No matter what your reasons are, here’s how to find your Apple ID, change it, and make a new one from your iPhone.
What Is an Apple ID?
Your Apple ID is the account name that you use to log in to all your Apple devices. Without it, you can’t access certain Apple products and services, such as FaceTime, iCloud, and iMessage.
Your Apple ID is also used to set up all your subscriptions, to use the Find My app so you can find your lost Apple device, to download old purchases, and more.
How to Find Your Apple ID
If you can’t remember your Apple ID, you can find it with any of your Apple devices by opening the Settings app from your home screen. Then, tap your name at the top of the screen, and you will see your Apple ID under your name at the top of the next screen.
If you don’t have an Apple device, you can also find your Apple ID by going to iforgot.apple.com and clicking look it up. You will be asked to enter your first and last name, along with your email address.
How to Change Your Apple ID and Password
To change your Apple ID, open Settings and tap your name at the top of the screen. Then tap Sign Out, enter your password, and choose whether to back up your data or not.
- Open the Settings app. This is the gear-shaped icon on your home screen.
- Tap your name at the top of your screen. This is the button that says Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap Sign Out.
- Enter your password and tap Turn Off.
- Next, choose whether to create a backup or not. If you choose to create a backup, it will copy your data on iCloud.
- Then tap Sign Out. In the pop-up box, tap Sign Out again to confirm the action.
- Next, go back to the main page of the Settings app. You can do this by
- Then tap Sign in. If you want to create a new Apple ID, skip to the next section.
- Finally, type in your new Apple ID and password and then tap Next.
After you sign in, go back to the main page of the Settings app and check to see if you have any notifications under Apple ID Suggestions. You might need to verify your email and update your Apple ID Settings. If you see either of these, tap them and follow the on-screen instructions.
How to Make a New Apple ID
If you are setting up your first Apple ID or you are making a new one, go to Settings and tap Sign in to your iPhone. Then tap Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot. Enter your info and follow the on-screen instructions to create an Apple ID.
- Open Settings and tap Sign in to your iPhone.
- Then tap Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it.
- Next, tap Create Apple ID in the pop-up menu.
- Enter your name and date of birth and tap Next.
- Then enter your email address. You can also tap Don’t have an email address to get a free iCloud email address, which you can use as your Apple ID.
- Next, enter a password. This will be the password for your Apple ID, so be sure to choose something you can remember.
- Tap Agree on the Terms and Conditions screen. Then tap Agree again on the pop-up menu to confirm.