Whether you are about to go on a run, or you are in the middle of working, it’s important to know how long your AirPods battery will last. You can quickly check the battery level of your AirPods from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer. There’s even a new iPhone home screen widget that will always display the battery level of each of your AirPods. Here’s how to check your AirPods battery level, with or without the charging case.
How to Check Your AirPods Battery Level on an iPhone or iPad
To check your AirPods battery level on an iPhone or iPad, first, you have to make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your device. Then place your AirPods in the case, close it, and move it near your device. Finally, open your case, and you will see your AirPods battery level pop up.
- Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone or iPad. To do this, you can go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure the slider at the top of the screen is green. You should also connect your AirPods if they are not connected.
- Then put your AirPods in the case and close the lid.
- Next, move the case near your iPhone or iPad. For best results, move your AirPods case as close to your device as possible. Your iPhone or iPad will also need to be turned on and awake.
- Then open the case and wait a few seconds.
- Finally, you can check your AirPods battery level on your screen. This will show you the battery level of your AirPods and the charging case. If you want to see the battery level of each AirPod individually, remove one of them from the case and wait a few seconds.
If you don’t see the battery level of your AirPods appear, try closing the case and opening it again after a few seconds. You might also want to try again from the home screen of your device, as your battery level might not show up in certain apps.
If you still don’t see the battery level of your AirPods, try disconnecting them from any other device they might be connected to. Also, they won’t show up if the batteries are completely drained, so try charging your AirPods and the case for a few minutes before trying again. Finally, if nothing else is working, you can open the case and press the setup button on the back of the case.
You can also check the battery level of your AirPods from your iPhone or iPad’s home screen, even without placing them in the case. To do this, you will need to use the Batteries widget, which is only available on iOS 14 and up. Here’s how:
How to Check Your AirPods Battery Level Without the Case
To check your AirPods battery level without the case, tap and hold any blank space on your iPhone or iPad’s home screen until the apps start jiggling. Then tap the plus sign in the top-left corner of your screen. Finally, select the Batteries widget and tap Add Widget.
- Enable Bluetooth on your device. To do this, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure the slider at the top of the screen is green. Also, make sure your AirPods are connected to your device.
- Then tap and hold any blank space on your iPhone or iPad’s home screen. This will cause your apps to jiggle.
- Next, tap the plus sign in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Then scroll down and select Batteries.
- Next, choose a widget size. You can choose between a small square, a long rectangle, and a large square widget by swiping to the left.
- Then tap Add Widget.
- Next, rearrange the widget on your home screen. If you already have widgets that are the same size on your home screen, you can “stack” them by dragging them on top of each other. Or you can place your widget anywhere else on your home screens.
- Then tap Done. You will see this small button in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Finally, you can check your AirPods battery level without the case. The Batteries widget will even show you the battery level of your AirPods when they are connected to another device.
If you want to check the battery level of each AirPod individually, as well as the battery level of your AirPods case, place one AirPod in the case. Then close and open the case again.
How to Check Your AirPods Battery Level on a Mac Computer
- Put your AirPods in the case and close the lid.
- Then click the Bluetooth logo in the top-right corner of your screen. This is the icon that looks like a capital “B” with two lines sticking out the back. If you don’t see this symbol, click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen and select System Preferences from the drop-down menu. Then select Bluetooth and check the box next to Show Bluetooth in the menu bar at the bottom of the window.
- Next, select your AirPods from the list. If you don’t see your AirPods in the list, close your case and press and hold the setup button on the back of your case until the light on the front or inside of the case starts blinking. Also, make sure to disconnect your AirPods from any other devices.
- Then open the lid of your AirPods case.
- Finally, you can check your AirPods battery level under their name.
How to Check Your AirPods Case Battery Level Without an iPhone, iPad, or Mac
To get an estimate of the battery level of your AirPods case, remove your AirPods from the case and open it. Then check the status light, which is either on the front of the case or inside it. If the status light is green, your case is charged. If it is amber, your case has less than one charge left.
How Long Do AirPods Battery Last?
On a single charge, the battery life of first- and second-generation AirPods will usually last 5 hours when listening to music and 3 hours when talking on the phone. While the battery life of AirPods Pro gives you 4.5 of listening time and 3.5 hours of talking time on a single charge.
You only have to charge your AirPods for 15 minutes to get 3 hours of listening time or talking time. AirPods Pro will give you an additional 1 hour of talking time or listening time after just 5 minutes of charging in their case. In total, you can get up to 24 hours of listening time and 18 hours of talking time if you charge your AirPods or AirPods Pro in the case throughout the day.
Now that you know how to check the battery life of your AirPods and AirPods Pro, check out our step-by-step guide on how to find your AirPods if they go missing.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.