Whether you just bought a new computer or you just want to start using a different browser, Google Chrome makes it easy to save all your bookmarks. Then you can import them to a new computer or browser, so it will feel just like your old one. Here’s how you can export, save, and import Chrome bookmarks, so you can transfer then to another computer or have a backup.
How to Export and Save Your Chrome Bookmarks
To export and save your bookmarks, open Chrome and go to Menu > Bookmarks > Bookmark manager. Then click the three-dot icon and select Export Bookmarks. Finally, choose where to save your Chrome bookmarks.
- Open Chrome and click the icon with three vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- Then hover over Bookmarks. This will open a pop-up menu.
- Next, click Bookmark manager. Clicking this will open a new tab.
- Then click the icon with three vertical dots. You will find this next to the Bookmarks search bar, under the Chrome address bar.
- Next, click Export Bookmarks. Clicking this will open the File Explorer on a Windows 10 computer or the Finder on a Mac computer.
- Finally, choose a name and destination and click Save. If you want to transfer your Chrome bookmarks to a new computer, you can save the HTML file to a flash drive or an external hard drive. Or, you can save your Chrome bookmarks to your desktop and email it to yourself as an attachment.
Once you export your Chrome bookmarks, you can then import them on a new computer. Follow the steps below to find out how:
How to Import Chrome Bookmarks
To import your Chrome bookmarks, open Chrome and go to Menu > Bookmarks > Bookmark manager and click the three-dot icon. Finally, click Import and select the HTML file you exported.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the icon with three vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- Then go to Bookmarks > Bookmark manager
- Next, click on the icon with three vertical dots next to the search bar. You will find this next to the Bookmarks search bar, under the Chrome address bar.
- Then click Import Bookmarks. Clicking this will open the computer’s Open file dialog box and prompt you to load a file. Choose the HTML file you saved to import your Chrome bookmarks.
- Finally, select the saved bookmarks HTML file and click Open. All your bookmarks will then be imported.
If you’re having problems with your browser, check out our article on how to speed up Chrome.