For years, the only way you could record your screen on an iPhone was by using third-party apps. But now Apple has made it easy to record a video of almost anything that you see on your iPhone screen. That means you can record YouTube videos, save a clip of a game you’re playing, or share a tutorial video with your friends. Here’s how to record your screen on an iPhone and edit the video.
How to Screen Record on Your iPhone
To record your screen on an iPhone, go to Settings > Control Center and tap the green plus sign next to Screen Recording. Then open the Control Center and tap the screen recording icon. Finally, select the red bar at the top of your screen to stop recording.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone. This is the app with the gear-shaped icon that comes pre-installed on your iPhone.
- Then select Control Center.
- Next, tap the green plus icon next to Screen Recording. This will move the Screen Recording option to the top under Included Controls.
- Then open the Control Center. You can do this by swiping down from the top-right corner of your screen on an iPhone X or a newer model. If you have an older iPhone, you can open the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen.
- Next, tap the screen-recording icon. This is the icon with a big dot inside a circle. Once you tap this icon, it will turn red, and your iPhone will start recording your screen after a three-second countdown.
- When you’re done, tap the red bar at the top of your screen and select Stop Recording. You can also open the Control Center and tap the screen recording icon again.
- Finally, tap Stop.
Once your video is processed, you will see a notification at the top of your screen that tells you your screen recording video was saved to Photos. You can tap this to quickly view your video.
After viewing your video, you can easily edit it to trim the beginning or end, crop the image, add a filter, and more. Here’s how:
How to Edit Your Screen Recording on an iPhone
To edit a screen recording on your iPhone, open the Photos app and select your video. Then tap Edit at the bottom of your screen and you will see the different editing options at the bottom of the video. Finally, once you’re done editing your video, tap Done to save your changes.
Here are all the editing options you can use on any videos saved on your Photos app:
How to Cut and Trim Video on iPhone
To cut or trim your video, tap the video camera icon. You can then move the tap and hold the left-pointing and right-pointing arrows to trim the beginning and end of the video.
Note: if you tap and hold either arrow and scrub through the video slowly, it will magnify the timeline to make it easier to trim your video.
How to Edit Color and Lighting
To edit the color and lighting of your video, tap the icon that looks like a dial with dots surrounding it. From there, you can adjust different things like the contrast, shadows, sharpness, brightness, and more.
How to Add Filters
Just like with pictures, you can also add filters to your video to make them warmer, cooler, or black and white. To do so, tap the icon with the three overlapping circles and choose one of the filters.
How to Crop a Video on iPhone
You can also crop a video to remove the unnecessary portions. To do so, tap the last icon among the video-editing options. Then, drag the adjuster that will appear on top of your video.
If you also want to learn how to rotate a video on your iPhone or Mac, check out our step-by-step guide here.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.