What’s a smart garage and why do you need one? Technically, it’s just your garage with smart tech-controlled gadgets. The great thing about a smart garage is that the controls are just in the palm of your hand. This means you get to operate your garage with just a few easy taps on your smartphone.
There are a couple more reasons a smart garage an important, if not essential, component of any smart home. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Doubled, 24/7 security – Smart garages can be modified in many ways. You can be informed of a power outage if it takes a manual effort to open the doors. You’ll know when which family member opened which door, or which remote was used. You’ll even know in real time if a thief or burglar is trying to get in.
- Less electricity consumption – Your old garage doors operate in standby mode most of the time, which isn’t too wise if you’re trying to cut energy costs. Garage doors controlled by smart tech, on the other hand, can be shut off completely and are considered helpful in lessening a house’s total carbon footprint.
- Extra convenience – If you tend to forget to double-check, then you’ll be grateful for a smart garage. The system can be set up so that the garage doors can operate at an exact time, or it can automatically close the doors for you. And since you can control it easily from anywhere, you’ll feel at ease during deliveries since you won’t have to give away temporary access codes anymore.
If you’re thinking of making the switch, check out our recommendations for some of the best or most worthy smart garage technology investments in the list below:
A smart garage basically relies on a controller. This controller, in turn, relies on the software that you have on your device. There are different types of controllers in the market today, so it could get confusing for you to choose during the buying process.
Note that the following controllers have more of the same basic features, though some are equipped with extra handy features. If you’re planning on a simplistic device, go for the ones that can do the job for a price that’s reasonably within your budget.
Garadget offers these following premium features for $89: voice-controlled remote access to existing garage doors and a main sensor system with a top panel-installed reflective tag. This controller is the cheapest and simplest you can get among the top choices today, but it should do the job. If you don’t mind minimal wiring, you might want to try this out.
Garageio is a retrofit controller and is known for its customizability. It’s a bit hefty on the budget at $199, but users like how it’s able to hardwire directly into any system opener’s command nodes. It offers Amazon Echo and IFTT integrations and is easy to set up.
With Garageio, you can control your garage doors through the IFTTT app with its geolocation feature, or with a simple voice command. Its app is simple as well, perhaps even too simple, but that just leaves more room for improvement.
The Gogogate2 promises easier garage management through its three-door controls, which is perhaps one of its selling features. It has the same software integrations with Garageio, but includes special add-ons like temperature check, no-charge access shared with up to 10 users, an auditive plus visual warning system, gate status monitoring with video, and grant/deny access controls to guests. It’s also the sleekest and most lightweight which justifies its $140 price.
The GoControl Garage Door Controller operates via the Z-Wave system, which enables great virtual compatibility with any existing garage openers. If you already have an automation system for your garage, then this controller could be for you – it’s only retailed at $84.25 on Amazon.
It has Nortek Security integration, which has served 50 years within the home security industry. This controller’s most selling feature is its impressive 100-foot range between the controller and the Z-Wave app.
If you still find yourself unsure about what type of controller best suits your garage needs, then follow these tips:
- Find out what your needs for a smart garage controller really are. This will help you eliminate unnecessary costs and will help you make reasonable points of comparison.
- Stay within your budget. Resist the lure of more expensive units just because they seem to offer cooler features. Remember that some of these are still being developed, so it’s best to stay with the ones that are proven to be more reliable.
- Find out what other people are saying about a product that you’re interested in. It’s always best for you to know all its advantages and drawbacks before you make the purchase.
Let us know if you’ve made the switch to a smart garage and how you liked it so far!