The Amazon Echo is a smart speaker that connects you to Alexa, your voice-controlled assistant. There are so many things you can do with your Amazon Echo. You can tell Alexa to play music, make lists of to-do items, set alarms, play audiobooks, stream podcasts, and receive news, traffic, and weather information. But if you don’t like saying the name Alexa all day, you might not want to use your Echo as much. Here’s how you can change Alexa’s name (or wake word) using the free app:
How to Change Alexa’s Name Using the App
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile phone or tablet. You can also go to alexa.amazon.com if you are using a computer.
- Tap the menu button located in the upper left corner. This is the icon with the three horizontal lines.
- Select “Settings” and then “Device Settings.”
- In the menu, select the Echo device that you want to change.
- From the options list, scroll down until you see “Wake Word.”
- Tap on it, and you will be given new name options.
- Tap the new name you want to use to wake your device. You can only choose from “Amazon,” “Computer,” or “Echo.”
If you have other Echo devices, follow the steps above to change their names as well.
You can also change Alexa’s name on your Amazon Echo device without having to log into the app. Here’s how to change Alexa’s name only using your voice:
How to Switch Alexa’s Wake Word Without the App
- Ask: “Alexa, can we change your name?”
- Alexa will ask you to choose a new wake word. You can set the new wake word as either “Amazon,” “Computer,” or “Echo.”
- Finally, respond by saying the new name you prefer.
Alexa is not used only for Echo devices. The smart assistant is also available for Fire tablets, 4th generation and newer. You can change the name of Alexa to “Amazon” on the Fire Tablet by following the steps below:
How to Change Alexa’s Wake Word With a Fire Tablet
- Make sure that Alexa Hands-Free is enabled in the tablet.
- Swipe down from the top while in the Home Screen of your tablet.
- Tap Settings. This is the icon with the gear design.
- Select Alexa and then select Wake Word.
- Tap to Amazon to change its name.
If you want to know how to change Alexa’s voice, check out our previous article. You can also reach out to a HelloTech agent for assistance.