The Amazon Echo is a smart speaker, but it isn’t so smart until you set it up. Whether you just bought an Echo device or received one as a gift, you’re going to have to set up Alexa on your device first. Here’s how to set up Alexa on your Echo speaker, so you can start controlling your smart devices.
What Is Alexa?
Alexa is Amazon’s cloud-based virtual assistant that is built-into Echo smart speakers and other voice-capable devices. Once you set up Alexa, you can ask questions about the weather, traffic, news, and more. You can also use Alexa to stream music, set alarms, and control your smart home devices.
Before You Set Up Alexa:
Before you set up Alexa on your device, you will need a smartphone or tablet to download the free Alexa app. You will also need an Amazon account, but you can set one up in the app. Finally, you will need a power source and a reliable WiFi connection.
If you want to find out how reliable your WiFi connection is at the location where you will install your device, check out our guide on how to test your WiFi speed.
How to Set Up Alexa
To set up Alexa, download the Alexa app and log in to your account. Next, plug your Echo into a power source. On the app, tap More > Add Device > Amazon Echo > Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus and more and wait for your device to turn orange. Tap on your device name and connect to your WiFi network.
- Download the Alexa app. You can download the Alexa app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. If you already have the app installed, make sure you have the latest version.
- Then sign in to your Amazon account or set up a new account. Type in your email address or phone number and your password. If you don’t have an Amazon account, select Create a New Amazon Account and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Next, choose your name from the list of users. If you don’t see your name, tap “I’m someone else” and register as a new user.
- Then plug your Alexa device into a power source.
- In the Alexa app, choose More. You will see this in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Then tap Add a Device.
- Next, tap Amazon Echo. The app will show you the kinds of devices that work with Alexa. If you are trying to set up Alexa on a different kind of smart speaker, scroll down and select Speaker.
- Then select Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus and more. You will see this option under Echo Smart Speakers.
- Next, confirm that the light ring on your Echo device is glowing orange. The app will ask if your Echo is plugged in and in setup mode. If it is, tap Yes on your phone.
- Then select your device name.
- Next, select your WiFi network and enter your password. Then tap Continue.
- Choose which room your Alexa device is in. Then tap Continue.
- Finally, enter your address. This will allow Alexa to give you personalized results for weather, traffic, and more. Tap Enter New Address to fill out your information, or select your address from the list that appears. Then select Continue. Once you’ve finished setting it up, Alexa will say, “Your Echo is ready.”
If you still can’t complete setting up Alexa on your device, check out our guide on how to reset your Echo device.
Now that you know how to set up Alexa on your Echo speaker, check out our list of the best Alexa commands to find out what you can say to Alexa.