If you have a Windows 10, your default search engine is Microsoft Edge, while Mac laptops use Safari as their default. Even though manufacturers will recommend using the default engines, you can change them at will. This means you can have sites open in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or any other browser that you want. Here’s how to change your default web browser on a Windows 10 or Mac computer.
How to Change Your Default Web Browser on Windows 10
To change your default web browser on a Windows 10 computer, go to Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps. Then click your default web browser and select a new browser from the drop-down list. If you don’t see a web browser, select Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.
- Open the Windows search box. You can do this by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Then type Default Apps into the search bar and click Open.
- Next, scroll down and select your default web browser.
- Finally, choose a new web browser from the list. If you don’t see your desired web browser in the drop-down menu, click Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.
If you want to know how to change your browser’s default search engine, check out our guide here.
How to Change Your Default Browser on a Mac Computer
To change your default web browser on a Mac computer, go to System Preferences > General. Then click the drop-down menu next to Default web browser and select your preferred web browser from the list.
- Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Then select System Preferences.
- Next, click General.
- Finally, select the Default web browser option and choose your preferred web browser.
If you want to download a new web browser, you can go to the Microsoft Store or Apple App Store in your Applications folder.