When you close the lid of your laptop, it normally goes to sleep. But what if you wanted to keep your laptop on when it’s closed? This can be frustrating if you want to plug your laptop into an external monitor or listen to music without looking at your bright screen. No matter what your reasons are, here’s how you can keep your Mac or Windows 10 laptop on when it’s closed.
How to Keep a Windows 10 Laptop On When It’s Closed
To keep your Windows 10 laptop on when you close the lid, click the battery icon in the Windows System Tray and select Power Options. Then click Choose what closing the lid does and select Do nothing from the drop-down menu.
- Right-click the Battery icon in the Windows System Tray. You’ll find this in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Then select Power Options.
- Next, click Choose what closing the lid does. You’ll find this in the left sidebar of the window.
- Then, choose Do Nothing next to When I close the lid. You can choose to keep your Windows 10 laptop on when it is closed if it is plugged in or when it is using battery power.
- Finally, click Save changes.
How to Keep a MacBook On When It’s Closed
To keep your MacBook on when you close the lid, go to System Preferences > Energy Saver. Then select the Power Adapter tab and set the Turn display off after slider to Never.
- Open the Apple menu. You can access this by clicking the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Then choose System Preferences.
- Next, click Energy Saver. This is the button with the light bulb icon.
- Then click the Power Adapter tab. You will see this at the top of the window.
- Set the Turn display off after slider to Never.
- Connect your MacBook to a power source, an external keyboard, a mouse, and an external monitor.
- Finally, close your MacBook lid to see if it’s still on.
If you don’t have an external monitor, make sure to check out our list of the best computer monitors for 2020.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.