Have you ever needed to send someone a document, but you weren’t near a scanner? All you need is an iPhone or iPad, and you can scan any document. You can also save it as a PDF, send it in an email, and even add your signature. Here’s how to scan on your iPhone or iPad.
How to Scan on Your iPhone or iPad Using the Notes App
To scan a document on an iPhone or iPad, open the Notes app. Then create a new note, tap the camera icon, and select Scan Documents. Finally, hold your device over the document and tap the shutter button to scan it.
- Open the Notes app on your iPhone or iPad. This app comes with your device, so you don’t have to download it. The app looks like a white memo pad with a yellow strip at the top. If you don’t see this app, you can download it from the Apple App Store.
- Then tap the pencil and paper icon to create a new note. You can find this icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, go back to the Folders screen, and create a new folder or open an existing one.
- Next, tap the camera icon. You can find this in the ribbon above the onscreen keyboard.
- Then tap Scan Documents from the menu that pops up. After you do so, your camera will be enabled.
- Position the document under your iPhone or iPad and tap the onscreen shutter button. This is the big white circle at the bottom of your screen.
- Drag the circles in the corner of the box to adjust the scan to fit the page. You won’t have to do this step if your device automatically scanned your document.
- Then tap Keep Scan. You can find this in the bottom-right corner of your screen. Your phone will then enhance the image, making it look like a real scanned document.
- Next, tap Save. You will see this in the bottom-right corner of the screen. The scanned image(s) will then be stored in your Notes app.
- Finally, tap Done in the top-right corner of the screen. You can also go back to the main Notes page by tapping the <Notes option on the top-left corner of your screen.
You can also tap the share icon in the top-right corner to send your scanned image as a PDF via email, text message, and more.
You can also edit your scanned document by tapping the image. Then you can crop, adjust the colors, or rotate the image by tapping one of the options at the bottom of the screen. You can also delete your scanned image by tapping the trash can icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
If you want to print your scanned document, check out our guide on how to print from your iPhone.
To add a signature to your scanned document, tap the share icon in the top right corner of your screen. Then scroll up and select Markup. Next, tap the plus sign in the bottom-right corner and select Signature.
If you already have a saved signature, you can select it. Otherwise, you will have to create a new one and click Done at the top of your screen. Next, drag your signature to the desired location and resize it by dragging the circles in the corners. Finally, tap Done at the top of your screen to save the image.
While using the Notes app to scan a nice-looking PDF, the Microsoft Office app also lets you edit the text of your scanned document. Check out our article on how to use the Microsoft Office app to learn more.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.