You can use routines on Alexa to control all your smart home devices with a single command or set them to turn on or off on a schedule. For example, if you wake up in the morning and say, “Alexa, start my day,” and your smart plug will turn on the coffee machine as your smart speakers start playing your morning playlist. Or you can simply set an Alexa routine to turn on your lights at the same time that you come home every day. Here’s how to set up any kind of Alexa routine.
How to Set Routines on Alexa
- Open the Alexa app. If you don’t have the app yet, you can download it from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Then tap More. This is the three-line icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Next, select Routines.
- Then tap the plus sign icon. You will see this in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Next, tap Enter routine name.
- Then type a name and tap Next.
- Next, tap When this happens.
- Then set a trigger. This will determine what starts the routine. For example, if you choose Voice, you can trigger the routine by using any voice command you want. If you choose Schedule, you can create a routine to turn on all your smart lights when you wake up every morning.
- After you finish setting up the routine trigger, select Add action. You will see this at the bottom of the section.
- Then select an action. Depending on which action you choose, you will have to specify how you want that action to play out. For example, if you choose Smart Home, you will have to choose which of your smart devices is activated. If you choose your smart lights, you might be asked if you want them turned on or off, how bright they should get, and what color you want them to be.
- Finally, tap Save.
Once you have set up an Alexa routine, you can test that it works by tapping the blue play button next to the routine name.
If you’re having problems with your Alexa device, check out our step-by-step guide on how to reset your Amazon Echo.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.