In celebration of its 15th anniversary, Yelp rolled out changes that allow users to personalize their in-app experience. On August 27, Yelp announced that app users will be able to get recommendations based on their diet, interests, lifestyle, and more. The Yelp personalization feature makes it easier for users to find restaurants and businesses that fit their wants and needs. For instance, if you’re a vegan, Yelp will only suggest vegan restaurants in your searches. If you indicate that you own a car or have kids, Yelp will suggest places that have parking spaces and are friendly for children.
Aside from restaurants, Yelp also provides information on just about any business, from gas stations to drugstores, and hair salons.
While Yelp has given users the option to filter their searches in the past, their new personalization feature takes things a bit further. This is done with the help of machine learning and artificial intelligence. As a result, Yelp can give you suggestions tailored to your preferences, such as activities or newly-opened businesses in your area.
With their highlights and shortcuts to filters, Yelp ensures that your recommendations are tailored to what you would like to see. Yelp will also give you a brief explanation as to why you would enjoy the suggested establishments.
If you’re stumped about where to start, you can use the search terms in Recommended Searches as a jump-off point.
How to Set Up Personalized Recommendations on Yelp
- Open the Yelp app. Make sure you have the latest version of the app. If you don’t have the app yet, you can download it from the App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Tap on the heart icon. This will be located under the Search tab with the text, “Make Yelp a more ‘you’ kind of place.”
- Then tap Add Preferences.
- Next, choose the preferences that apply to you from the categories. You can also scroll down to add your favorite dishes, activities, and more
- Once done, tap Add Preferences. When you go back to the app, you will see a Picks For You section, which means that your preferences have been set up.
You can change your preferences anytime by clicking on the Me icon at the bottom of the app and then tapping Your Preferences.
Yelp’s personalization update is one of the biggest changes the company has implemented recently. Next year, they plan to launch Yelp Reservations and Request a Quote as part of the company’s effort to integrate their website and app.
The full Yelp personalization options will be available for all iOS users this fall. New search capabilities are now available to Android users, but complete personalization options will only be available in Android in 2020.
If you have dietary restrictions, check out our list of the 10 best apps for vegetarians.